How can we improve ASDWA's Communications?

Replace ASDWA FTP with simple cloud-based file share option

ASDWA can use its cloud-based file management system to provide direct download links for software currently accessible via the ASDWA's FTP site. This would eliminate the need to manage separate credentials for logging into the FTP site and should make for a more fluid user experience.

2 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

AdminAnthony DeRosa (Communications and IT Manager, ASDWA's UserVoice) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AdminAnthony DeRosa (Communications and IT Manager, ASDWA's UserVoice) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey Kate - some things to consider, based on your comment. The only place on the ASDWA website [www.asdwa.org] that a user can access the ASDWA FTP site is via the SDWIS Software page for 3.0. I hard-code links to the FTP there, so some users can download the files via the site.

In my opinion, the best way to connect to the FTP site is to use an FTP client, like Filezilla. Once you configure the client, you're all set - any time you needed to grab files from the FTP site, you would launch the FTP client [local software that runs on your PC] and you would automatically connect. There are other benefits to using FTP Clients as well, but the simplicity in connecting, I think, is the most important.

Another option would be to bookmark ftp://ftp.asdwa.org/.

I think part of the confusion is that the website [www.ASDWA.org] is not the FTP site. The FTP site is really nothing more than a folder sitting on my PC that you log into to grab files.

My idea, with this cloud-based option, is that you would be able to have a sync'd version of that folder on my PC, on your PC [if that makes sense]. It would work like Dropbox, if you're familiar. This way, whenever new software was uploaded, everyone would have it on their PCs and would automatically get notifications that new files are there. You'd never have to "go get it", it would already be delivered to you - and I wouldn't need to send manual notifications...they would be automated by the system. :)

• Kate Gilmore commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My issue is that when I want to go directly to the FTP part of the ASDWA site, I cannot find it and I end up in places like this. If being cloud based would allow more direct access to the site, i.e. having a url or way to go there directly, then it would be an improvement.

Feedback and Knowledge Base