How can we improve ASDWA's Communications?

Email Address vs. Username

Is there a benefit in converting "usernames" to "email addresses"? Given that authentication to some ASDWA-related sites is associated with a user's email address, is there a benefit to configuring ASDWA.org to do the same. At the moment, users cannot change their own usernames without causing login issues, so it could be anything. Email address would be easier to remember. Users could create a single "ASDWA password' that they used for all ASDWA-sites. Users might even be more sensitive to keeping their email information up-to-date, as it is connected to login.

2 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

AdminAnthony DeRosa (Communications and IT Manager, ASDWA's UserVoice) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AdminAnthony DeRosa (Communications and IT Manager, ASDWA's UserVoice) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Update: I can now "flip a switch" to apply this change, but need to test it before activating it for all users. I'd also need to alert all registered users of the change, with some heads up time to get into the system to update their email addresses. I *think* this option would retain the existing username data, it would just tell the system to authenticate against the email field instead of the username field.

• AdminAnthony DeRosa (Communications and IT Manager, ASDWA's UserVoice) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm leaning this way myself, Jason, for the same reasons. More and more websites are authenticating from a user's email address rather than solely relying on usernames. ...the only real problem is the workload associated with manually making this change for all users. I think I would need about a minute or three per user, which is a lot of work hours. Thanks for your feedback!

• Jason Newton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

since we all have mulitple sites that we log into, it would be benifical to use our email id vs a username. We shouldn't forget our email address :)

Feedback and Knowledge Base